Hi all! Just wanted to give another monthly update about changes at the visual kei library, vkgy.
(Cross-posting this to Monochrome-Heaven, so only some of it will be new to regular visitors.)
New and updated features
- Collect releases: show that you own, want, or are selling a release. Collections display on your profile, along with an estimated total worth. You can download your collection (or just the items you're selling) in .csv format, for easy import into Google Docs.
- Comments: users can comment on news, artist pages, release pages, and VIP posts. The main page has a feed of all recent comments.
- Flyer of the day: a random exclusive flyer scan is uploaded each day. Many have never been seen before, and we have enough lined up for the next ten years(!).
- Exclusive artist info: many artist profiles feature new information that is not present at other sites. Use the “exclusive” filter on the artists index to see them.
- Exclusive images: if you've uploaded your own scan to vkgy, mark it as “exclusive,” and it will be watermarked with “vk.gy” and your username. Only VIP members (and the original uploader, regardless of VIP status) can view the full-size, unwatermarked version.
- MP3/music tagging: users can now use vkgy as a data source within Mp3tag to automatically tag their music files with artist, album, song titles, date, and cover. Both Japanese and romaji tags are supplied. To install this feature, sign in at vkgy, go to your user profile, then navigate to Edit Account.
- Artist popularity (beta): a graph of live activity has been added to artist profiles. And based on the size of each livehouse, an estimation of popularity has been assigned to each band that has live data.
- Tag artists and releases (beta): artists and releases can now be assigned tags, such as “oldschool” or “rare,” from a predefined list. Releases can also be searched by tags (search by artist tag will be available in the future). Note: please feel free to suggest tags that should be implemented!
- Twitter @vkgy_: where I'm most active; also includes news, artist of day, flyer of day.
- Facebook at vkgyofficial: includes news, artist of day, flyer of day.
- YouTube at vkgyofficial: occasional unboxings, VIP-exclusive videos, and other random content.
- Signature banner: use your custom banner link to display the latest news, flyer, and artist updates, plus your username and collection size. (To get yours, add this link to your forum signature, blog, etc, and change the username at the end to your own: https://vk.gy/sig.jpg?inartistic)
- vkgy is on Patreon!
- If you enjoy the site, you can help it keep running by contributing any amount. All contributors receive a special mention on the main page.
- $5/month grants VIP privileges (see below), and $15/month grants VIP privileges + advertising spot on the main page.
Early pledgers of $5/month or more receive a large, die-cut vkgy logo sticker.Sold Out!
- VIP members have a badge beside their name on vkgy, plus:
- Exclusive images can be viewed at full size and without any watermarks.
- Full access to development log.
- Exclusive mini-forum for suggestions/fixes, and priority for implementing them. (Some VIP suggestions that have been implemented: release tagging, artist popularity, larger scans, etc.)
- Early access to new features. (VIP members have had early access to: collection updates, artist popularity, release tagging, Mp3tag integration, and more.)
- Choose featured artist on main page (in the works).
- More features in the future (e.g. when using vkgy with Mp3tag, automatically pull full-width artist names, etc.).
How to contribute
- If you'd like to contribute to vkgy, please make an account first. All users have the ability to comment on artists/releases/news, so feel free to point out corrections or additional information.
- All users can tag artists/releases.
- All users can add/edit releases.
- If you would like permission to add/edit artists, please contact me (@vkgy_ on Twitter, vkgyofficial on Facebook, or here).
- I want you want to help with social media or some other aspect of the site, contact me and we can look into it.
Once again, I want to thank everyone for their involvement and support (special thanks to all Patreon supporters, and contributors to the site).
As always, please feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions or concerns. Thanks!