A few questions about popularity in visual kei, as inspired by a chat with cultic.
First: for visual bands, which statistics indicate popularity? Obvious ones are “ticket sales × release sales,” but what else matters?
- Capacity of livehouses at which they play?
- Capacity of livehouses at which they hold oneman lives?
- Number of sponsored/oneman lives held?
- Number of CDs released?
- Number of tanuki threads?
- Price of releases at second-hand stores?
- Length of activity period?
Second: without raw sales data, how can we approximate popularity?
We don't have ticket/release sales, but we do have lots of other data. My hope is to compile/weight that data and automatically assign a rank to each band (as we overseas fans are notoriously bad at judging actual popularity).
Here's what I have so far:
- Average capacity of livehouses at which the band plays. (Could be improved by weighting sponsored events/oneman lives, but how?)
- Number of releases (excluding free releases?).
- Number of releases which vkgy users own. (Anyone with a vkgy account can add releases to their collection to make this stat more accurate!)
- Number of releases which vkgy users want.
Average livehouse capacity is already pretty promising (see Syndrome vs Cell no.7 vs ARLEQUIN), and will become more accurate as more data is added (let me know if you'd like to contribute). But I think those other statistics could be useful if weighted properly; I'm just not sure how to do it yet.
Before I make some monstrous algorithm that magically gives all of KISAKI's bands an S rank, I'd love to get some input from you guys!
(By the way, VIP supporters got alpha access to the live capacity feature on artist pages, and early access to this discussion in the VIP section.)